Friday, April 22, 2016

Now from the altar of our hearts,
Let warmest thanks arise;
Assist us, Lord, to offer up
Our evening sacrifice.

This day our God was our sun and shield,
Our keeper and our guide;
His care was on our weakness shown,
His mercies multiplied.

Minutes and mercies multiplied,
Have made up all this day;
Minutes came quick, but mercies were
More swift and free than they.

New time, new favors, and new joys,
Do a new song require;
Till we shall praise thee as we would,
Accept our hearts’ desire.
                       John Mason

****************************************
Now the light has gone away;
Saviour, listen while I pray,
Asking Thee to watch and keep,
And to send me quiet sleep.

Jesus, Saviour, wash away
All that has been wrong today;
Help me ev’ry day to be
Good and gentle, more like Thee.

Let my near and dear ones be
Always near and dear to Thee;
O bring me and all I love
To Thy happy home above.

Now my evening praise I give;
Thou didst die that I might live:
All my blessings come from Thee;
O how good Thou art to me!

Thou, my best and kindest  Friend,
Thou wilt love me to the end;
Let me love Thee more and more,
Always better than before.
        Frances Ridley Havergal


As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.  Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I
pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.  Psalms 55:16-17

.....I have heard an anecdote of two gentlemen travelling together, somewhere in Switzerland.  Presently they came into the midst of the forests; and you know the gloomy tales the people tell about the inns there, how dangerous it is to lodge in them. 
     One of them, an Infidel, said to the other, who was a Christian, "I don't like stopping here at all; it is very
dangerous indeed."  
     "Well," said the other, "let us try." 
     So they went into a house; but it looked so suspicious that neither of them liked it; and they thought they would prefer being at home in England. 
     Presently the landlord said, "Gentlemen, I always read and pray with my family before going to bed; will you allow me to do so to-night?" 
     "Yes," they said, "with the greatest pleasure."  
     When they went up stairs, the Infidel said, "I am not at all afraid now."
     "Why?" said the Christian.
     "Because our host has prayed." 
     "Oh!" said the other, "then it seems, after all, you think something of religion; because a man prays, you can go to sleep in his house." 
     And it was marvellous how both of them did sleep.  Sweet dreams they had, for they felt that where the house had been roofed by prayer, and walled with devotion, there could not be found a man living that would commit an injury to them. 
                                                                                                                                    C. H. Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment