Sunday, December 27, 2015

        Precious Bible! what a treasure
        Does the Word of God afford!
        All I want for life or pleasure,
        Food and Med'cine, Shield and Sword:
        Let the world account me poor,
        Having this I need no more.

        Food, to which the world's a stranger,
        Here my hungry soul enjoys;
        Of excess there is no danger,
        Though it fills, it never cloys:
        On a dying Christ I feed,
        He is meat and drink indeed!

        When my faith is faint and sickly,
        Or when Satan wounds my mind,
        Cordials to revive me quickly,
        Healing med’cines here I find:
        To the promises I flee,
        Each affords a remedy.

        In the hour of dark temptation,
        Satan cannot make me yield;
        For the Word of consolation
        Is to me a mighty Shield:
        While the Scripture truths are sure,
        From his malice I'm secure.

        Vain his threats to overcome me,
        When I take the Spirit's Sword;
        Then with ease I drive him from me,
        Satan trembles at the Word:
        'Tis a Sword for conquest made,
        Keen the edge, and strong the blade.

        Shall I envy then the miser,
        Doating on his golden store?
        Sure I am, or should be, wiser,
        I am rich, 'tis he is poor:
        Jesus gives me in His Word,   
        Food and Med'cine, Shield and Sword.
                                                                  John Newton

     If God so willed it we could live without bread, even as Jesus did for forty days; but we could not live without his Word.  By that Word we were created, and by it alone can we be kept in being, for he sustaineth all things by the Word of his power.  Bread is a second cause; the Lord himself is the first source of our sustenance.  He can work without the second cause as well as with it; and we must not tie him down to one mode of operation.  Let us not be too eager after the visible, but let us look to the invisible God.  We have heard believers say that in deep poverty, when bread ran short, their appetites became short too; and to others, when common supplies failed, the Lord has sent in unexpected help.
     But we must have the Word of the Lord......Our souls need food, and there is none for them outside of the Word of the Lord.  All the books and all the preachers in the world cannot furnish us a single meal: it is only the Word from the mouth of God that can fill the mouth of a believer.  Lord, evermore give us this bread.  We prize it above royal dainties......                                       
                                                                                                                                          C. H. Spurgeon


No comments:

Post a Comment