Sunday, December 20, 2015

We have a strong tie upon God, because he giveth us the promise, which is our ground of hope.  Surely we may put his bonds in suit, and say, ‘Thy handwriting is placed before thee, O Lord.’”

     We say among men—we have it in black and white, and there is no getting over it: a man’s handwriting binds him.  Now, we may be sure that the Lord will never deny his own writing, nor run back from a bond given under his own hand and seal.  Every promise of Scripture is a writing of God, which may be pleaded before him with this reasonable request, “Do as thou hast said.”  The Creator will not cheat his creature who depends upon his truth; and, far more, the heavenly Father will not break his word to his own child.  “Remember the word unto thy servant, on which thou hast caused me to hope,” is most prevalent pleading.  It is a double argument: it is thy word, wilt thou not keep it?  Why hast thou spoken it if thou wilt not make it good?  Thou hast caused me to hope in it, wilt thou disappoint the hope which thou hast thyself begotten in me?

     How sure are thy promises, O my God.  Forgive me that I ever doubt them, and give me more faith, that I may treat them as the blessings which they guarantee, even as men pass cheques and notes from hand to hand as if they were the gold they stand for.
                                                                                                                                          C. H. Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment