Friday, January 15, 2016

From a Letter by John Newton dated January 27, 1778 to the Rev. Mr. B.

Dear and Rev. Sir,
     At present it is January with me, both within and without.  The outward sun shines and looks pleasant, but his beams are faint, and too feeble to dissolve the frost.  So it is in my heart; I have many bright and pleasant beams of truth in my view, but cold predominates in my frost-bound spirit, and they have but little power to warm me.  I could tell a stranger something about Jesus that would perhaps astonish him: such a glorious person! such wonderful love! such humiliation! such a death! and then what he is now in himself, and what he is to his people!  What a sun! what a shield! what a root! what a life! what a friend!  My tongue can run upon these subjects sometimes; and could my heart keep pace with it, I should be the happiest fellow in the country.  Stupid creature! to know these things so well, and yet be no more affected with them!  Indeed I have reason to be upon ill terms with myself!  It is strange that pride should ever find anything in my experience to feed upon; but this completes my character for folly, vileness, and inconsistency, that I am not only poor, but proud; and though I am convinced I am a very wretch, a nothing before the Lord, I am prone to go forth among my fellow-creatures as though I were wise and good.
     You wonder what I am doing, and well you may; I am sure you would if you lived with me.  Too much of my time passes in busy idleness, too much in waking dreams.  I aim at something; but hindrances from within and without make it difficult for me to accomplish anything.  I dare not say I am absolutely idle, or that I wilfully waste much of my time.  I have seldom one hour free from interruption.  Letters come that must be answered, visitants that must be received, business that must be attended to.  I have a good many sheep and lambs to look after, sick and afflicted souls, dear to the Lord; and therefore whatever stands still, these must not be neglected.  Amongst various avocations, night comes before I am ready for noon; and the week closes, when, according to the state of my business, it should not be more than Tuesday.  O precious, irrecoverable time!  O that I had more wisdom in redeeming and improving thee!  Pray for me, that the Lord may teach me to serve him better.
                                                                                                                                              John Newton

No comments:

Post a Comment