Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Nothing to pay, for atonement’s made,
The blood has been shed and the debt is paid.

Nothing to pay, for the blotted scroll
Was nailed to the cross where He saved my soul.

Nothing to pay; yet my all I owe,
Unto the dear Lord who hath loved me so.

Nothing to pay, but myself I’ll bring
To serve Him forever, my Savior King.

Nothing to pay; but our thanks we’ll raise,
With rapture we’ll render immortal praise.

Chorus
Nothing to pay, nothing to pay,
For Jesus has taken my debt away.
                                 L. H. Edmunds


And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are for-given; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.  Luke 7:40-50

     I heard of an Englishman that when the Lord converted him, had a great desire to see every man converted.  So he went into one town, and gave notice that he would preach.  It got noised round that the man was rich, so he had a great audience the first night, but, the next night hardly any one was there.  Then he got out placards, and stated that if any man in that town owed any debt, if they would come round to his office between nine and twelve o'clock on a certain day, he would pay the debt.  That went through the town like wild-fire.
     One said to the other, "John, do you believe that?" 
     "No, I am not going to believe that any stranger is going to pay our debts."
     The day came, and at nine o'clock the man was there.  At ten o'clock none had come.  At eleven o'clock a man was seen walking up and down, and finally he stuck his head in the door and said, "Is it true that you will pay any man's debt?"
     "Yes; do you owe any debt?" 
     "Yes."
     "Have you brought the necessary papers?"
     "Yes." 
     So the man drew a check and paid the other's debt, and he kept him and talked with him till twelve o'clock; and before twelve o'clock two other men came and got their debts paid.  At twelve o'clock that man let them out, and the people outside said to them, "He paid your debts, did not he?"
     "Yes, he did," they answered.  The people laughed and made fun of them, and would not believe it till they pulled out the check, and said, "There it is.  He has paid all the debt."
     Then the people said, "What fools we were, we did not go in and get our debts paid!"
     But they could not; it was too late; the door was closed.  Then the man preached the Gospel, and great crowds went to hear him; and he said, "Now, my friends, that is what God wants to do, but you will not let Him do it.  Christ came to pay our debts, and that is the Gospel."
                                                                                                               regarding D. L. Moody, written by
                                                                                                                          Abbie Clemens Morrow

No comments:

Post a Comment